Somos una estación de radio pública situada en el 90.1 FM de su radio en Houston, Texas. Somos una de las cinco de la cadena Pacífica. Aproximadamente 90 por ciento de nuestros fondos vienen de miembros y escuchas particulares.
KPFT is licensed to the Pacifica Foundation. Pacifica was founded by Lew Hill in 1949 and pioneered the concept of listener-supported radio as an alternative to the market-driven media of the time. Pacifica's programming is not supported or controlled by advertisers. The Pacifica Foundation is a non-profit corporation and is an IRS 501 (c)(3) charitable organization.
We broadcast from a 1000 watt tower just outside of Houston. KPFT's studios and business offices are located in a 1985 year old house in the heart of the city of Houston.
KPFT was founded by journalist Larry Lee who convinced Pacifica to establish a listener-supported station in Houston. Lee felt that it was important for the Houston community to have an alternative voice to standard radio fare. KPFT took to the airwaves in March 1970 and after a tumultuous start, Larry Lee served as KPFT's first station manager. His perseverance and foresight embody the spirit of KPFT and Pacifica Radio.
- To establish a Foundation organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes.
- To establish and operate for educational purposes, in such manner that the facilities involved shall be as nearly self-sustaining as possible, one or more radio broadcasting stations.
- In radio broadcasting operations to encourage and provide outlets for the creative skills and energies of the community.
- In radio broadcasting operations to engage in any activity that shall contribute to a lasting understanding between nations and between the individuals of all nations, races, creeds and colors.
- In radio broadcasting operations to promote the full distribution of public information.